- Clean gutters. Inspect gutters to ensure all spikes, straps and clips are tightly fastened. Use a garden hose to flush debris from downspouts. Make sure downspouts or splashbacks direct water at least three feet away from the foundation.
- Wash windows, inside and out, using a solution made from three tablespoons of non-sudsy ammonia to 1 gallon of water. Don’t work in the direct sun – the solution will dry too fast and streak. To clean windows with real (not removable) grills, use a hacksaw to
cut a squeegee so it fits the windowpanes exactly.
- Have central air-conditioning unit checked according to the recommendations of the unit’s manufacturer. Replace the filter in the forced-air system. Clean debris from condenser or heat pump located outside.
- Remove mineral deposits from faucet aerators and shower heads by soaking parts in
white vinegar and scrubbing with an old toothbrush.
- Have swimming pools cleaned. Inspect and service pool liners and filters.
- Shop for seasonal sales on air-conditioning units and window fans.
- Dust ceiling fan blades.
- Set thermostats and automatic sprinkler system to adjust for weather changes
- Before placing metal patio furniture outdoors, coat it with auto polish.
Articles for May 2015
Houston May Weather Facts
Welcome to May! Don’t forget to get your mother something special for Mother’s Day this month!
Temperatures in May average 86 degrees for the high and 68 degrees for the low.
Houston’s record high for May is 98 degrees set in 1949 and the record low is degrees 44 set in 1978.
The average humidity for Houston in May averages at about 75%.
You can expect an average of 5.11 inches of rain this month.
Fun Fact: On May 24, 1607, the first permanent English settlement in America was established in Jamestown, VA.