- Paint interior rooms while it’s still warm enough to leave windows open. Ditto for shampooing or replacing carpets.
- Check heating system including filters, pilot lights, and burners, and have the system serviced by a qualified professional.
- Clean and vacuum dust from vents, baseboard heaters and cold-air returns.
- Remove window air-conditioning units and store them. If they are not removable, cover them with plastic to protect them over the winter.
- Tour the outside of your house to make sure that soils around the foundation are properly graded. Soil should slope four to six inches for a distance of three feet out from the foundation walls.
- Watch for year-end close-out sales on lawn and garden equipment.
- Inspect storm windows for any signs of deterioration and make necessary repairs.
Temperatures in September average 89 degrees for the high and 72 degrees for the low.
Houston’s record high for September is 101 degrees set in 1956 and the record low is degrees 50 set in 1967.
The average humidity for Houston in September averages at about 75%.
You can expect an average of 5.6 inches of rain this month.
Fun Fact: Shakespeare did not mention September in any of his plays.