Houston, Texas is an area where having an A/C unit is more of a necessity than a luxury. Of course it will cost money to use on a daily basis, but there are things you should know that can help you keep those costs lower throughout the life of owning your system.
First, the correct size air conditioning unit for your home is important. Bigger is not always better when it comes to an A/C unit. The wrong size unit can actually waste a great deal of energy and not keep your home comfortable like you want either. A trained A/C technician like the one’s here at Cool Dude will be very helpful in addressing what size unit will be best for your home while also considering the comfort level you want.
Second, according to recent statistics only 1 in 5 consumers actually get a yearly maintenance A/C check-up. The life of an A/C system can be increased if this is done yearly and it will keep your system performing at the best level possible year round. To keep your system energy efficient get your system looked at by a professional each year.
Third, 8 out of every 10 system failures is caused by dirt and dust. Changing your filter as often as necessary is the best way to keep this from happening to you. Remember pets and other indoor pollutants such as smoking decrease the life of your filter faster than normal, so it will need to be changed more often. With the average home producing 40 pounds of dust each year it is important to keep filter changes a priority. This will keep your system cleaner, and a cleaner unit uses less energy.
In Houston hot days outnumber the cool ones so it is important to call a professional once a year to give your a/c system a check-up. Here are some of the things you can expect when you decide to get it done.
1: The technician will measure your systems airflow to determine what adjustments can be made to keep your system performing at maximum capacity.
2: They will take a good look at your outside condenser unit, clean it and remove debris to ensure it is all working properly.
3: They will clean they cooling coils on the inside unit, even with timely filter changes, dust and dirt can build up on the coils and reduce efficiency, a good cleaning will keep the entire system running smoother longer.
4: The tech will also check or even replace your filter and give you guidelines on how often you should be replacing it.
5: They will also use special tools to measure the inside and outside conditions of your home to make sure your thermostat is working correctly. This will also help them determine if any refrigerant needs to be added to your system.
All of these things can make a big difference in how well your air conditioning unit will perform each year and will help to prolong the life of your system. Keeping this habit up yearly will also save you money on energy costs each year. Give the pros a call and get your check-up scheduled.
Many of us are animal lovers and we love the feeling of unconditional love we come home to everyday from our pets. We want them to stay cool during these hot summer months as much as we do, but having indoor pets brings about some issues to be aware of when thinking about your a/c system. Build up of pet hair and dirt can greatly effect the life of your air conditioning filter. A clean a/c filter helps tremendously in keeping your system clean so it can run properly.
- Keep pet hair and dirt to a minimum as much as possible, especially where the air intake for your unit is in your home. This will help prolong your filter life.
- Change your filter more often than recommended because indoor pets will reduce the life of your filter even with your cleaning efforts.
- Keep in mind also that there are filters on the market that are designed to help reduce pet dander and allergens as well. This may be helpful in increasing the overall air quality in your home.
While it can be a little more work to maintain your a/c unit and filters with indoor pets it is certainly worth the effort because it will keep your unit running smoother and keep the air quality better throughout these hot summer months.
With Houston temperatures hitting the triple digits this summer your air conditioner is working harder than ever to keep you and your home cool.
Give it a hand by doing some simple things to keep it running smooth.
- Change your filter often. With your unit working overtime it may be necessary to change the filter more often during summer months. Keep in mind that indoor pets can shorten the life of your filters as well. Clean filters will help keep a/c coils working properly.
- Check your thermostat. Making sure it is registering the proper temperature will keep you aware of any signs that something may be wrong with your system.
- When away, adjust the temperature. Increasing the temperature while away from home by just 2 degrees can allow your system to get a little rest while still keeping your home cool. Not to mention save you a little money.
- Get a check-up. Yearly check-ups from the professionals can help maintain your system in the summer months and extend the life of your air conditioning/heating unit.