- Figure out what the license and insurance requirements for contractors are in your state.
- Know the model of your current system and its maintenance history.
- Make note of any uncomfortably hot or cold rooms.
Ask for referrals:
- Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers for contractor referrals.
- Contact local trade organizations for names of members in your area.
- Ask contractors for customer references and call them.
- How was the contractor’s installation or service performance?
- Was the job was completed on time and within budget?
Look for special offers:
- Check around for available rebates on energy-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified heating and cooling equipment.