During periods of cold weather, portable heaters and strip heaters are among the highest sources of electricity demand. But now summer is approaching in Houston and as we all know that it is categorized as humid subtropical from June to August. When the heat comes calling, people will eventually use air conditioners or cooling units to do battle in a Summer temperature war. One of the highest reasons why an electric bill increases is the use of these cooling units.
There are factors that can affect of increasing of your electricity monthly bill. To get the cheapest electricity bill, the 3 main considering factors that could affect your monthly bill which are the contract length, rate per kWh, and the actual monthly electricity usage of usage.
In the heat of August alone, Houstonians were paying an average of $394.39.Most of that went toward keeping their homes and businesses cold 24 hours a day. And here are ways to keep your electricity bill low through summer months:
- Regular and proper maintenance of your air conditioning can ensure that your system will operate at its maximum efficiency level. The more efficiently it runs the less energy and money you waste. Constant and right maintenance can also prevent many small problems from becoming big, expensive ones later. In addition, you have to replace air filters monthly. Dirty air filter can cost you money because it blocks the air flow, causing your unit to work harder to push cool air through your home. A clean air filter will save you money on energy usage and lengthen the life of your air conditioner.
- Ceiling fans also is a systematic way to make a room comfortable without having to lower the temperature. The air circulation they provide evaporates moisture on your skin, causing you to feel cooler. The aggregate fan use and cautious management of your ac settings will result in overall energy savings. If you don’t have ceiling fans, they can be easily installed in any room with an overhead light. You can avail them out at your local Home Depot for less than $100.
- Use a clothesline instead of a clothes dryer to save energy bill. If you have the room to spare, you could dry clothing inside on hangers.
- Using programmable thermostat can also be one of your solution to lessen your energy bill. The programming temperature changes throughout the day will allow you to maximize the usage of an air conditioner to coincide with the outside conditions. It will also help you by automatically adjusting the temperature up when you are away at work or school . If you’re forgetful sometimes, no need to worry because this tool is an easy way to automate your savings. Just never forget to change the programming for each season.
- By not letting the heat in is one way of cooling your house. Shades provide a huge barrier to the outside heat, and not require any electricity usage. If you currently have shades in your home than during the day, remember to keep them closed, especially when the sun is beating down in the afternoon. If you don’t have shades at home cover your windows with heavy, lined curtains to keep cool in.
- Air leaks in doors or windows and through bad insulation could loss electricity in your home. You can save higher percentage of energy usage through proper insulation and air sealing. This could be a favorable savings off your bill, especially during the hot summer months.
- Unplug home electronics when it is not in use to save more energy usage and achieve low electricity bill.